I could call this recipe a “utility breakfast” for Paleo dieters, but those words really don’t do it justice. What it is, is a very simple Paleo pancake recipe made with minimal ingredients and very fast prep/cook time. This is the quickest pancake recipe to make of all that I have published on PaleoPancakes.co, and it is directly out of The Paleo Recipe Book by Sebastian Noel.
Despite my “utility breakfast” label, these pancakes do stand well on their own for taste. Not nearly as fancy as some of the other pancake recipes here, but they taste fantastic. I find that these are the pancakes I make on a regular basis, mostly because the texture and consistency are much more inline with say, a whole wheat pancake.
Prep and cook time for me is about 15 minutes. The ingredients are simple enough and I make them often enough that I don’t even bother getting out measuring cups or spoons anymore. I think you will find that they are pretty easy to make too. Please let me know how you like them!
Recipe: Basic Almond Flour Pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup water
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of sea salt
- Coconut oil for cooking fat
- Preheat frying pan or griddle over medium-low heat. In a bowl, mix eggs, vanilla and honey together well. Set water aside for now.
- In a second bowl combine dry ingredients by whisking together the almond flour, cinnamon, and sea salt thoroughly. Mix wet and dry ingredients together well.
- Once all ingredients are mixed, use water (up to 1/4 cup) to thin out the batter to a consistency you like.
- Add coconut oil or cooking fat of your choice to griddle or pan. Pour or ladle enough batter to form a small (2-3 inch diameter) pancake. Cook until edges start to dry and firm then flip and cook through. Different pans and griddles cook differently, so your first pancake is your trial piece.
- Keep pancakes warm in a warming drawer or 200F oven until ready to serve. Top with real maple syrup, honey, or fruit of your choice.
Pancakes As A Vessel
The best way to view these Basic Almond Flour Pancakes is as a vessel for toppings. Do not get me wrong, these are delicious on their own for sure! But they are fantastic to use as part of a plate that contains fruit, veggie, or meat toppings or sides. I am presenting them here in my photos with a simple fruit topping a drizzle of real maple syrup just to highlight the pancakes themselves, but I typically amp up the Paleoness by adding bacon or ham and topping them with a whole sliced banana and a handful of berries. I encourage you to find a combination you enjoy.
PS – For more great Paleo pancake and other awesome breakfast recipes, be sure to check out The Paleo Recipe Book!